I simply LOVE this homemade countdown calendar! You can fill the cups with a list of Advent items (see below) or chocolate or other trinkets. Each day your child can punch through the cup to reveal what is waiting inside. I made this for my son when he was 7 years old and it was the perfect countdown calendar for him…full of ninja moves, sweets, and Jesus…what more could you ask for?
I am pretty sure he would still go nuts for it now, but at age 13, with the skills of a 3rd degree black belt, I wonder if he would end up accidentally punching through the wall! You never know.
- 25 eight-ounce styrofoam cups
- an assortment of candy or other goodies
- a sheet of poster board
- a glue stick
- a hot glue gun
- number templates (click to download)
1. Print and cut out the circles from the number templates (click to download).
2. Section off twenty-five 4″ x 4″ squares on your poster board. Five across and five down.
3. Fill each of the 25 cups with Advent items, chocolate, candy, or other trinkets. Nothing too heavy, though.
4. Using a regular glue stick, attach the paper circles to the cup openings.
5. Using the hot glue gun, attach the bottom of the cups to the poster board, using the 4″ x 4″ squares as a guide. Make sure you attach the cup to the poster board immediately…hot glue dries very quickly.
What I did when my son was 7:
I sealed 3 miniature chocolates into the cup. At the end of each day he practiced his TaeKwonDo moves on the cup of the day, and we ate the chocolates (one for each of us). Next I give him the Advent item to place back into the open cup as I read Scripture and explained how the item signifies the life of Jesus. It is really nice to view the rows of open cups containing items that remind us of our Lord.
Download Scripture and instructions to go along.
- Grape candy
- Smiley sticker
- Toy fish
- Birthday candle
- Fish crackers
- Cotton ball
- Piece of a map
- Heart sticker
- Packet of salt
- Christmas carol
- Crumpled foil
- Mustard seed
- Dove (toy or photo)
- Small scrap of woolly material
- Blue marble
- Picture of a baby
Download Scripture and instructions to go along with the items above.
*This post was originally published on my blog back in 2008.
*Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links.
- Christmas Countdown Ideas: Christmas Cookie Countdown
- 2016 Doctor Who Calendar / Planner Pages For Kids