Day One: Navigating a fantasy world
Not only am I literally obsessed with all the stories I mentioned above, I am overjoyed by anything related to a map. We have these 4 DIY beauties hanging on our wall and I’ll show you how easy it is to make your own.
What You Need:
- Mod Podge
- Paint brush
What to Do:
1. Choose the story you want to display. My maps above are of the worlds of The Chronicles of Narnia, The Wizard of Oz, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit.
2. Locate a large map on Google Images. Just search for something like Narnia map and select large from the Search. Please honor copyright laws and do not distribute or misuse an image that is copyrighted.
3. Resize, print, and trim the map to fit your piece of wood or canvas. Lightweight canvasses can be purchased at any craft store or check out your local home improvement store for a small piece of wood. My maps are on 10″ x 10″ pieces of wood.
4. After trimming the map, apply a layer of Mod Podge or other craft glue to the front of your wood. Center the map and smooth out with a ruler or credit card.
5. Flip the wood over and trim the corners as shown below.
6. Apply Mod Podge around the edges of the back of the wood as shown below. Tightly secure the map around the back of the wood.
7. After the Mod Podge dries, apply another layer on the front of the map to give it a glossy shine. This will also protect the paper.
*Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links.
- Everybody is Interested in the Beginning of Things
- Geek Projects: Custom Shirts